For the past 10 years, my projects’?Continuous Integration were done on Hudson/Jenkins. Cannot say I’d ever been a Jenkins fan though, but I haven’t had a chance to work?with?alternatives either. Until I stumbled over Atlassian Bamboo.
?Native support for Continuous Delivery?Pipeline
Bamboo CD pipeline is a chain of stages. Each stage contains 1 ore more jobs. Each job consists of one or more tasks.
For example, a project continuous delivery pipeline consist of the following stages: package, deploy to QA, run tests in QA, deploy to UAT, smoke tests in UAT.
“Package” stage contains one “Build and Package” job that has “compile”, “unit test”, and “install into Artifactory” tasks.
“Run Tests in QA” stage contains 2 jobs that are executed in parallel: “Run Regression tests” and “Run Functional tests?.
All jobs in one stage have to be completed successfully before moving to the next stage.
Steps can be configured to pause for manual input.
As a part of a pipeline, a release candidate can be manually approved and promoted to higher environments. For example, a build that successfully passed all stages including a smoke test in UAT can be marked as approved by UAT team and promoted to Prod by Operate team. Bamboo groups permissions would ensure correct access to these functions.
Many daily CI features are put on auto-pilot:
- Choose one of two merge models to?avoid manual merging?? to trigger a feature build, Bamboo will use either the ?Branch Updater? to update a feature branch with the integration branch or the ?Gatekeeper? to update the integration with the feature branch.
- Enable ?push on success? to merge a pull request to the feature branch via Branch Updater or to the integration branch via the Gatekeeper.
- Configure Bamboo to automatically delete configurations for branches that are deleted in Stash
Tight integration with JIRA:
- Generate Release Notes for each build and shows a difference between current and any previous builds.
- Link issues to dev branches to see real-time build status inside the issue
- Get related build results inside issues and the issue’s vital stats on the build result in Bamboo.
- Track each issue’s deployment status throughout your environments.
- See a roll-up of all the JIRA?issues and commits included in each release candidate.
- Create an issue from Bamboo failed job to resolve it
Tight support of Docker build agents and tasks:
- Build a Docker image, run a Docker container, and push the image to Docker Registry
- Run as a Bamboo Agent inside a Docker container to ease up distribution of changes to Bamboo instances and avoid conflicts between remote agents on the same host